Monday, July 7, 2014

As American as apple pie

So last week was the 4th of July. I am fairly certain it is written in Southern law that you must consume LARGE amounts of apple pie on our nation's birthday. So I set out toward the land of Google to find an amazing recipe the my 2 girls could help me with.

Google failed me..........

They all had so much sugar and the dough recipes required a degree in astrophysics. So I decided to use my trusted pre-made dough and make up the filling as I went. What follows might be the most amazing and organically genius apple pie recipe of all time. Enjoy and God Bless America!


Lemon and Clove Essential oils Apple Pie

So as you will find out in this blog I LOVE essential oils. Literally I use them for everything and I am always looking for ways to incorporate them into cooking/baking. Enter apple pie. Everyone knows you need lemon juice and clove as part of any good apple pie. So I say to myself, why not use lemon and clove essential oil. Sometimes myself and I have pretty solid ideas. 

The filling!!!

6 thinly sliced Gala Apples (I use Gala because I like the taste best but any firm apple will do)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Young Living Lemon essential oil
Young Living Clove essential oil
1/3 cup water

Cut, core and peel the apples. I don't stress if there is a little peel on some slices just make sure they are nice and thin so the bake down to a soft, fork tender apple.

Then take the water and add 2 drops Lemon essential oil and pour over the sliced apples. This keeps them from turning brown AND infuses them with a crisp citrus flavor that off sets the sweetness of the apple.



Next add all the other ingredients to the bowl. I used 2 drops of Clove essential oil but you can do more if you like a stronger taste. Mix all that up until it coats the apples in a nice "glaze".

I can not be held responsible for lack of filling because it was all eaten from the bowl.

Now here is the kicker.......the secret no one knows..........

"Well hello good sir"
 BAM! Yep that's right...because everything is better with a little Jack. I added just a splash, like maybe a 1/4 cup.

Now give all that a good stir and park it in the fridge overnight. Let all those flavors soak into the apples.

The next day...........

Heat your oven to 425°.
To keep this simple I used a pre-made dough from the freezer section of Whole Foods. Let it thaw completely and roll on piece into the bottom of a 9" pie pan. Press it along the bottom and sides and cut away an excess from the sides. Spoon the apples and just a little bit of the juice into the pie shell and then top with the second dough circle. Cut away the excess from the side and pinch the top and bottom together to make a seal. Cut 4 slits in the top to allow steam to vent.

Bake at 425° for 12 minutes then cover the edges with a pie shield or small strips of tin foil to keep from burning.  Cook another 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the apple are tender when tested with a knife through one of the slits you cut.

Technically you are supposed to cool the pie for 1 hour before serving but let's be honest with the smells this bad boy was giving off that was NOT going to happen.

God bless America!



 So there you have it folks. An apple pie that has all the goodness of essential oils and is a prerequisite to any American holiday.

If you want to learn more about Young Living essential oils email me at donyarumore1@gmail. I would love to share with you all the amazing benefits they can offer you and your family. Hope you all had a happy and safe 4th and from ours to yours take care and God bless.

My kitchen "helpers"









No comments:

Post a Comment